Sand & Gravel Mine – A miner fell from a conveyor and received serious injuries. The miner was working atop the tail pulley section of an inclined conveyor while changing a speed reducer; he fell approximately 42 inches to the ground. There were no handrails and the two miners were not using fall protection equipment.
- Establish safe work procedures, which include incorporating the manufacturer's recommendations, to assure that workers are not exposed to hazards when performing maintenance, repairs, or demolition activity.
- Prior to beginning work, ensure that all workers are trained in safe work
- Examine work areas during the shift for hazards that may be created as a result of the work being performed
- Before starting any work, clear the area of tripping and stumbling hazards
- Provide and maintain safe access to all work areas
- Secure structures against unexpected movement when performing demolition work
- Stay focused on your work for your own safety and the safety of your fellow workers