Surface Dredge - A miner was preparing to move the floatation platform. While standing on the platform and adjusting the lift chains, the miner stepped back into the uncovered 3’ X 3’ opening for the turbine water pump falling against the side breaking his ribs and puncturing a lung
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures. Identify and control all hazards. Train all persons to recognize and understand safe job procedures before beginning work.
- Protect openings near travelways through which persons may fall by installing railings, barriers, or covers.
- Keep temporary access opening covers secured in place at all times when the opening is not being used.
- Train all persons to recognize and understand safe job procedures before beginning work.
- Wear fall protection where there is a danger of falling.