Surface Copper – A miner was installing a rock knocker on the rear wheel of a haul truck from a man lift. After finishing, the miner began to move the man lift and was pinned between the control panel of the lift and the bottom of the bed of the haul truck.
- Ensure persons understand safe job procedures and eliminate all hazards before beginning work.
- Ensure persons are properly task trained regarding safe operating procedures before allowing them to operate mobile equipment.
- Ensure that all operating systems and safety features on mobile equipment are maintained and functional at all times.
- Follow the manufacturer's operators manual and ensure required tests are performed on equipment.
- When using man lifts in work areas with limited space, ensure that the controls are placed in the slowest speed to avoid abrupt movement.
- Ensure persons working around lifts can safely lower them if the operator becomes incapacitated.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures. Identify and control all hazards.