Underground Crushed & Broken Limestone Mine – A haul truck was being loaded at an underground mine when a significant portion of the immediate roof above the truck fell covering the top of the truck and an area behind the truck. The truck driver received medical treatment.
- Establish safe work procedures that ensure a safe work location for miners conducting scaling operations, and train all miners to recognize and understand these procedures.
- Discuss safe work procedures before beginning work. Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed and the methods to properly protect miners.
- Always examine and test areas for loose ground before starting to work, after blasting, and as ground conditions warrant.
- Identify and scale loose material from a safe position which will not expose miners to falling material.
- Test for loose material frequently during work activities. Be alert to any change of ground conditions.
- Install ground support in roof and ribs where conditions warrant.