Surface Sand, Industrial NEC - An electrician was operating a man lift when his left shoulder contacted the 14,400 volt overhead powerlines and received burns to his left shoulder, both arms and hands.
- Identify hazards associated with tasks prior to work assignments.
- Ensure that high-voltage power lines are de-energized before operating equipment within 10 feet of them.
- Have Power Company install insulated sleeves attached directly to the power line.
- Use warning lines with flags to visibly show were a power line's buffer zone is located. This option requires the installation of flagged warning lines to the side and below the power line. The warning line must be made of non-conductive materials.
- Ensure that workers who operate aerial lifts are properly trained in the safe use of the equipment. Test the controls and inspect the aerial lift before use each day. Make sure that all controls are clearly marked as to their function.