When his personal vehicle became stuck in a ditch, a miner decided to use a front-end loader to retrieve it. However, as he drove the loader as toward the vehicle, he lost control, traveled through a berm and rolled over. The miner suffered serious injuries. The accident occurred on July 17, 2017.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures. Identify and control all hazards associated with the task being performed.
- Operating speeds should be consistent with conditions of roadways, grades and the type of equipment used.
- Assure berms are at least mid-axle height of the largest equipment used at the mine site.
- Seatbelts must be worn when operating mobile equipment.
- Only persons who are properly trained and experienced should be permitted to operate large haulage equipment.
This alert can be posted on bulletin boards, used in safety talks, or given to miners and contractors as a hand out.