Plant - Clay - A miner was trying to determine why clay was not flowing properly by examining a chute that discharged into a screw conveyor. Instead of using a ladder to look inside, he stood on top of the metal screw conveyor cover his foot slipped and he fell approximately three feet to the grating floor hitting his head and suffered serious injuries.
- Identify all potential tripping and falling hazards before working.
- Look for fall hazards such as unprotected floor openings or edges, shafts, skylights, stairwells, and roof openings.
- Select, wear, and use the appropriate fall protection equipment for the task.
- Provide and use appropriate lighting in work areas after dark.
- Use appropriate ladder for job task.