Surface Construction Sand & Gravel - A miner was operating a portable crusher when a large rock fell striking him on the left side of his head. The miner was wearing a hard hat at the time. The miner was taken to the hospital and released later that day. The accident occurred in winter 2017.
• Be mindful of falling material hazards and the risks from rock that can fly out from the crusher.
• Wear required personal protective equipment.
• Install adequate guarding in areas where miners work to protect them from the hazards of falling or flying rock from the crusher.
• Restrict access to areas prone to falling or flying material.
• When performing maintenance, prevent unplanned and hazardous movement of equipment by using lockout/tagout procedures. Fall protection is required where there is danger of falling.
• Train miners on hazards associated with portable crushing operations.