Surface Limestone – A haul truck operator was hauling raw material from the extraction area downhill towards the primary plant, on a 5 percent grade haul road. The truck operator did not maintain control of the equipment when the left side of the truck climbed onto the berm causing the truck to roll onto its side. The equipment operator had his seat belt on and suffered minor injuries.
- Always wear a seat belt when operating mobile equipment.
- Task train mobile equipment operators adequately and ensure each operator can demonstrate proficiency in all phases of mobile equipment operation before performing work.
- Conduct adequate pre-operational checks and correct any defects affecting safety in a timely manner prior to operating mobile equipment.
- Maintain control of self-propelled mobile equipment while it is in motion.
- Post safe speed limits for the mine roads and remind mobile equipment operators to reduce speed when weather conditions change.