State of Tennessee Program Summary
Dr. Jeff McCord, Commissioner
Mr. Oscar Frederick, Director of Mines
Department of Labor and Workforce Development
220 French Landing Drive
Nashville, TN 37243-1002
To improve the environments of the coal, metal and nonmetal mines in the State of Tennessee, the Mine Safety Unit, under the Department of Labor and Workforce Development conducts classes in:
- 30 CFR, parts 46 and 48 Annual Refresher Training;
- 30 CFR, parts 46 and 48 New Miner Training;
- First Aid and CPR training for miners;
- Certification/QualificationTraining and Testing for supervisors;
- Initial and Annual Refresher Training for MSHA Certified/Qualified Electricians;
- 30 CFR, part 49 Training for Mine Rescue;
- Specialized comprehensive training for contractors working on mine properties;
The Mine Safety Unit is also responsible for the issuance of state mine license required to operate any coal mine as well as any metal/nonmetal mine operating underground. The Mine Safety Unit, located in Caryville, Tennessee, maintains training facilities for training and the State's mine rescue station.
For more program information contact Mr. Oscar Frederick at (423) 566-9272 or e-mail Oscar.Frederick@TN.gov.