Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government.

Does a person need a valid drivers' license to drive equipment on mine property?

The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) does not have a regulation requiring that an equipment operator have a valid state driver's license to operate mobile equipment on mine property. MSHA does, however, require that the equipment operator be properly trained in the safe operation of the piece of equipment and that the training be documented.