Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government.

I worked as a miner about eight years ago and am thinking about going back to the mines. Am I still considered an "experienced miner"?

Under 30 CFR Part 48, an individual who receives 40 hours of training and works for 12 months as an underground miner is considered an "experienced miner." Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA rules require that any experienced miner who has been away from mining for more than five years receive 8 hours of "experienced miner" training before returning to the mine. If you do not have the 12 months of mining experience, you will need to receive 40 hours of "new miner" training. Some States have additional training requirements for miners. You may want to contact the appropriate agency in your State regarding specific requirements. Our web site has a listing of state agency contacts.