State of Utah Program Summary
Mr. Randy Mabbutt, Mine Safety and Industrial Education Specialist
Utah State University - College of Eastern Utah
451 East 400 North
Price, Utah 84501
The State of Utah, through Utah State University Eastern (USU Eastern) provides high quality training and assistance to the mining industry in Utah. The program consists of conducting training classes, assisting mine operators with the preparation of training plans, developing training curriculum, and providing guidance in improving health and safety in the mines throughout the State of Utah. The services are offered to the small mine operators, large mine operators, contractors and others working or planning to work on mine property.
Training is conducted in accordance with 30 CFR Parts 46 and 48 requirements by MSHA approved instructors either on campus or at the mine site.
Training classes offered for Coal and Metal/Nonmetal mining include:
- 30 CFR Parts 46 and 48 Annual Refresher (Surface and Underground);
- 30 CFR Parts 46 and 48 New Miner Training (Surface and Underground);
- Instructor Training Workshop â€“ Part 48;
- First Aid/CPR
- Supervisory/Management Training;
- 30 CFR Part 49 Mine Rescue Training;
- Electrical Recertification (Coal).
- Mine Foreman/Fireboss career skills and development
- Rules to Live by
- Special Emphasis Safety Training includes but not limited to classes in Miner's Rights, Welding/Cutting, Lock-Out/Tag-Out, Slings/Rigging, Roof, Back and Ground Control, Powered Haulage, Machinery Safety, Electrical Safety, Handling Materials, Slip and Fall of Persons, HazCom, Health and Guarding
- Customized training for operators and contractors