COAL MINE FATALITY - At 11:02 pm, a 32 year-old general labor contractor with 4 months of mining experience was fatally injured when he was struck by a large tool box on a track-mounted supply car that was being pushed into a track spur. The victim held up a high voltage cable to permit the loaded car to pass under the cable.
- Ensure that all track-mounted equipment has proper clearance throughout the mine.
- Ensure that all miners are in a safe location before placing equipment in motion.
- Conduct training for miners assigned to new work tasks to ensure they are aware of the health and safety aspects and safe work procedures related to the assigned tasks.
- Always be aware of your location in relation to mobile equipment.
- Always look in the direction of equipment movement and exercise caution in close work areas.
This is the 21st fatality reported in calendar year 2008 for coal mining. As of this date in 2007, there were 26 fatalities for coal mines. This is the 8th powered haulage fatality in 2008. There was 1 powered haulage fatality for the same period in 2007.