COAL MINE FATALITY - On Wednesday October 22, 2008, at approximately 2:45 p.m., a 40-year old bulldozer operator with 13 years experience was fatally injured at a surface coal mine. The victim was operating a bulldozer that was constructing a new bench in preparation for an excavator when the bulldozer overturned and fell approximately 80 feet.
- Stop, Look, Analyze, and Manage, (SLAM) each task to identify all potential hazards. Initiate action to protect yourself when performing every task.
- Train all equipment operators on proper work procedures and hazard recognition before they operate equipment.
- Keep the dozer blade between you and the edge when operating close to drop offs.
- Always wear seat belts when operating mobile equipment.
- Conduct pre-operational checks to identify any defects affecting safe equipment operation before placing into service.
- Maintain equipment braking and steering systems in good repair.
This is the 25th coal mine fatality in calendar year 2008. In 2007, there were 27 coal mine fatalities for the same period. This is the 9th Machinery fatality for 2008. There were 2 Machinery fatalities for the same period of 2007.