COAL MINE FATALITY - On Tuesday, October 28, 2008, a 48-year old haul truck operator with 2 years experience was fatally injured when the cab of the haul truck he was operating was struck by the rear of another haul truck that was traveling in reverse. The victim was behind the cab at the time of the accident and was pinned between the air tank and brake cabinet of the haul truck.
- Stay alert to activities of other mobile equipment around you.
- Always ensure that no one is located directly behind you prior to tramming your mobile equipment in reverse.
- Leave sufficient distance between mobile equipment to ensure that you are visible to other drivers.
- Obtain positive verbal contact before moving equipment in close proximity to other mobile equipment.
- Remain in equipment cabs while staging trucks.
- Install and maintain reversing cameras on haul trucks or other proximity protection devices.
- Train all employees on proper work procedures and hazard recognition and avoidance.
This is the 26th fatality reported in calendar year 2008 for coal mining. As of this date in 2007, there were 28 fatalities for coal mines. This is the 10th Powered Haulage fatality in 2008. There were 2 Powered Haulage fatalities for the same period in 2007.