METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY - On June 11, 2009, a 57-year old mechanic with 31 years of experience was fatally injured at an underground lead/zinc mine while checking for a hydraulic leak on a loader. The victim leaned into the ejector plate relief port in the back of the loader bucket. The ejector plate of the bucket was retracted, crushing him against the back of the bucket.
- Train persons to recognize work place hazards.
- Establish safe work procedures before a task is performed.
- Securely block equipment and components against hazardous motion at all times while performing maintenance work.
- If equipment and components are to be moved, always verify persons are aware and in a safe location prior to movement.
- Consult and follow the manufacturer's recommended safe work procedures for the maintenance task.
This is the 11th fatality reported in calendar year 2009 in the metal and nonmetal mining industries. As of this date in 2008, there were 12 fatalities reported in these industries. This is the 3rd Powered Haulage fatality in 2009. There were 3 Powered Haulage fatalities in the same period in 2008.