METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY - On June 20, 2009, a 52-year old equipment oiler/greaser with 24 years of experience was fatally injured at an underground salt mine. He was cleaning equipment when a large roof fall occurred.
- When ground conditions create a hazard to persons, install effective ground support before other work is permitted in the affected area.
- Design, install, and maintain a support system to control the ground in places where persons work or travel.
- Examine and test ground conditions in areas where work is to be performed prior to work commencing and as ground conditions warrant during the shift.
- Be alert to any change of ground conditions.
- Identify and scale loose ground from a location which will not expose persons to falling material.
This is the 12th fatality reported in calendar year 2009 in the metal and nonmetal mining industries. As of this date in 2008, there were 12 fatalities reported in these industries. This is the 1st Fall of Roof fatality in 2009. There were 2 Fall of Roof fatalities in the same period in 2008.