METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY - On April 14, 2009, a 38 - year old contractor carpenter with 8 years of experience was fatally injured at a cement plant under construction. While dismantling a section of scaffolding, the victim lost his balance and fell when one end of the metal pan on which he was standing shifted unexpectedly. As he fell backward, the victim's safety lanyard slipped off the end of the horizontal scaffold to which he was tied.
- Train persons to recognize the hazards associated with the type of scaffold being used and how to control or minimize those hazards.
- Wear fall protection where there is a danger of falling.
- Where possible anchor fall protection to permanent support structure.
- Follow the manufacturer's procedures for assembly and disassembly of scaffold systems.
- Ensure that scaffolding is properly connected and braced to prevent side sway.
- Prior to using scaffolding, inspect the structure to ensure that it has not been altered.
This is the 6th fatality reported in calendar year 2009 in the metal and nonmetal mining industries. As of this date in 2008, there were 5 fatalities reported in these industries. This is the 1st Fall of Person fatality in 2009. There was 1 Fall of Person fatality in the same period in 2008.