COAL MINE FATALITY -On July 28, 2009, a 27 year old truck driver with six years mining experience was fatally injured when the loaded articulated dump truck he was operating overturned into a newly constructed sediment pond. The driver was traveling in reverse along a narrow road adjacent to the pond. The truck rolled onto its top trapping the driver under the water.
- Maintain control of haulage equipment at all times.
- Use properly constructed berms and other impeding devices around sediment ponds.
- Ensure the stability of the roadbed. Avoid operating haulage equipment on soft shoulders.
- Routinely monitor work habits and examine work areas to ensure that safe work procedures are followed.
- Use seat belts when operating mobile equipment.
This is the ninth fatality reported in calendar year 2009 in the coal mining industry. As of this date in 2008, there were nineteen fatalities reported in the coal mining industry. This is the fifth Powered Haulage fatality in 2009. At this time in 2008, there were six fatalities in this classification.