COAL MINE FATALITY - On Sunday, October 6, 2013, at approximately 2:30 a.m., a 44-year old bulldozer operator, with approximately 10 years of experience, sustained fatal injuries when the dozer he was operating went over the edge of a highwall.
- Task train miners adequately on the equipment they will operate.
- Train all employees on safe work procedures, hazard recognition, and hazard avoidance.
- Maintain a safe distance from the edge of the highwall.
- Ensure adequate berms are in place.
- Be familiar with your work environment. Before beginning work, look at the area, walk around it, and plan the safest way to move the material and maneuver the equipment.
- Ensure illumination is adequate when work is performed during non-daylight hours.
- Maintain control of equipment at all times during operation.
- Ensure that personnel operating mobile equipment always wear a seat belt.
This is the 17th fatality reported in calendar year 2013 for the coal mining industry. As of this date in 2012, there were 16 fatalities reported in the coal mining industry. This is the 6th fatality classified as Machinery in 2013. At this time in 2012, there were 3 fatalities in this classification.