METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY – On July 10, 2013, a 68-year old dozer operator with 23 years of experience was killed at a sand and gravel mine. He was pushing material with a dozer when the machine veered to the right and traveled into a water filled pit.
- Task train all persons to understand the hazards associated with the work being performed.
- Be familiar with your work environment. Before starting to work, thoroughly inspect the area and plan the safest way to move the material and maneuver equipment.
- Maintain control of mobile equipment while it is in motion.
- Always wear a seat belt when operating mobile equipment.
- Monitor persons routinely to determine safe work procedures are followed.
This was the 22nd fatality recorded during calendar year 2013 in in metal and nonmetal mining. As of the accident date in 2012, there were 9 fatalities reported in metal and nonmetal mining. This was the 3rd fatality classified as Machinery in 2013. There was one Machinery fatality in the same period in 2012.