METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY - On April 27, 2013, a 58-year old mechanic with 2 years of experience was killed at a surface gypsum operation. The victim was clearing a blockage on a mobile track-mounted crusher when he became entangled in the discharge conveyor.
- Establish policies and procedures for conducting specific tasks on belt conveyors.
- Before beginning any work, ensure that persons are task trained and understand the hazards associated with the work to be performed.
- Do not perform work on a belt conveyor until the power is off, locked, and tagged, and machinery components are blocked against motion.
- Provide emergency stop mechanisms at the control panel(s) and at ground level where maintenance or repair work is performed.
- Provide appropriate controls to protect any person working near a stalled conveyor from unexpected motion.
- Maintain communications with all persons performing the task. Before starting belt conveyors, ensure that all persons are clear.
This is the 6th fatality reported in calendar year 2013 in the metal and nonmetal mining industries. As of this date in 2012, there were 5 fatalities reported in these industries. This is the 1st Powered Haulage fatality in 2013. There was 1 Powered Haulage fatality in the same period in 2012.