METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY - On May 17, 2013, a 22-year old mucker with 31 weeks of experience was killed at an underground molybdenum mine. The victim was checking a derailed loaded ore car when he was pinned between it and another loaded ore car.
- Establish policies and procedures for conducting specific tasks.
- Before beginning any work, ensure that persons are properly task trained and understand the hazards associated with the work to be performed.
- Maintain communications with all persons performing the task.
- Conduct adequate pre-operational checks and ensure that all braking systems on mobile equipment are functioning properly.
- Do not work or cross between rail cars unless the locomotive is stopped and the operator is notified and acknowledges your presence.
- Never place yourself between rail cars without blocking them to prevent movement.
- Maintain the track and track mounted equipment to prevent derails.
This is the 7th fatality reported in calendar year 2013 in the metal and nonmetal mining industries. As of this date in 2012, there were 6 fatalities reported in metal and nonmetal mining. This is the 2nd Powered Haulage fatality in 2013. There were 2 Powered Haulage fatalities in the same period in 2012.