METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY - On October 10, 2014, a 66-year-old contract truck driver with approximately 11 years of experience was killed at a cement operation. The driver was inside a loading rack closing the hatch on top of a bulk tanker truck. When the victim raised the rack to access the hatch, he fell between the rack and rounded side of the truck and then fell to the ground.
- Establish traffic patterns to ensure safe alignment of vehicles with access equipment.
- Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed and use methods to properly protect persons.
- Ensure that persons are trained, including task-training, to address the hazards associated with the work being performed.
- Always use fall protection when working where a fall hazard exists.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and any hazards that may be present.
This is the 20th fatality reported in calendar year 2014 in metal and nonmetal mining. As of this date in 2013, there were 13 fatalities reported in metal and nonmetal mining. This is the 4th Fall of Person fatality in 2014. There were 0 Fall of Person fatalities in the same period in 2013.