METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY - On April 24, 2014, a 50-year-old contract dozer operator with 23 years of experience was killed at a fire clay mine. He had been operating a dozer pushing clay in the pit and was found lying five feet behind the dozer.
- Ensure that persons are trained, including task-training, to understand the hazards associated with the work being performed.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures before beginning work. Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed and use methods to properly protect persons.
- Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards while performing a task.
- Maintain control of mobile equipment while it is in motion.
- Set the parking brake and lower the bull dozer blade to the ground before dismounting equipment.
- Never jump from mobile equipment.
- Always wear a seat belt when operating mobile equipment.
- Monitor persons routinely to determine safe work procedures are followed.
This is the 8th fatality reported in calendar year 2014 in metal and nonmetal mining. As of this date in 2013, there were 6 fatalities reported in metal and nonmetal mining. This is the 2nd Machinery fatality in 2014. There was 1 Machinery fatality in the same period in 2013.