METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY – On May 28, 2015, a 61-year old water truck operator with 2 years of experience was killed at a surface gold mine. The victim was killed when a water truck ran over a portable toilet that was occupied by the victim.
- Locate portable toilet facilities in areas inaccessible to mobile equipment. Always be aware of equipment operating in close proximity to your area.
- Ensure that all persons are clear before moving equipment.
- Sound your horn to warn persons prior to moving mobile equipment and wait a few moments to give them time to get to a safe location.
- Communicate with mobile equipment operators before getting on or off of equipment and ensure they acknowledge your presence.
- Establish rules and use signs or signals warning of hazards at locations where pedestrians and mobile equipment are both performing tasks.
This is the 7th fatality reported in calendar year 2015 in metal and nonmetal mining. As of this date in 2014, there were 12 fatalities reported in metal and nonmetal mining. This is the 2nd Power Haulage fatality in 2015. There were 3 Powered Haulage fatalities in the same period in 2014.