METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY – On September 20, 2017, a contractor was fatally injured while rappelling within a conditioning tower. The victim was examining the inside of a 300’ vertical conditioning tower when an object fell from above and struck him in the head. The victim was conscious and transported to a local hospital where he died of his injuries the next day.
- Remove all loose materials and other hazards before working.
- Have fall protection and available and ready for use.
- Check bin atmosphere for oxygen content, combustible gases, and toxic contaminants.
- Provide adequate lighting.
- Be sure the person entering the bin is trained in safe entry and confined space procedures.
- Have standby personnel available to observe and to assist in an emergency.
This is the 9th fatality reported in calendar year 2017 in metal and nonmetal mining. As of this date in 2016, there were 13 fatalities reported in metal and nonmetal mining. This is the 3nd Fall of Material fatality in 2017. There was one Fall of Material fatal in the same period in 2016.