Accident Report: Fatality Reference
METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY – On October 11, 2018, a 26-year old miner with 48 weeks of experience at the mine was fatally injured as a result of falling from on top of a previously cut block of granite. The victim was in the process of separating the cut block of granite from the highwall when the cut block suddenly slid out. The movement caused the miner, who was not wearing fall protection, to lose his balance and fall between the rock and the highwall causing fatal injuries.
- Install fall protection systems that allow safe movement to perform work.
- Always conduct examinations of working places in order to identify loose ground or unstable conditions before work begins and as changing ground conditions warrant.
- Ensure that the person conducting the examination has the training and experience to recognize potential hazards.
- Discuss work procedures and identify all hazards associated with working near highwalls along with the methods to protect personnel.
- Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards while performing work tasks.
This is the 10th fatality reported in calendar year 2018 in metal and nonmetal mining. As of this date in 2018, there were nine fatalities reported in metal and nonmetal mining. This is the 1st Falling, Rolling or Sliding Rock /Material fatality in 2018. There was one Falling, Rolling or Sliding Rock /Material fatalities during the same period in 2017.