COAL MINE FATALITY – On Thursday, November 29, 2018, a mechanic with 29 years of mining experience was severely injured when hydraulic pressure propelled a piece of metal out of a hydraulic fitting that he was examining, and the metal penetrated his head. The miner died on December 30, 2018, as a result of his injuries.
- Train miners to recognize hazards in pressurized systems before troubleshooting or performing work on such systems.
- Consult and follow the manufacturer’s recommended safe work procedures.
- Position yourself in a safe location, away from any potential sources of failure, while troubleshooting or testing pressurized systems. When possible, examine and inspect hydraulic components while they are de-pressurized.
- Remove pressure from the hydraulic system before beginning modifications or repairs.
- Make modifications or repairs with proper components and parts that are adequately rated and specifically designed for such purposes.
This is the 12th fatality reported in calendar year 2018 in the coal mining industry and is the second classified as Machinery. As of this date in 2017, 14 fatalities were reported in the coal mining industry, with two in this classification.