Accident Report: Fatality Reference
METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY – On April 12, 2018, a 60-year old customer truck driver was killed when he fell from, and was run over by, his truck while scanning into the operator’s check-in system. The victim was found underneath the belly dump of the semi-trailer, and the truck was still in gear.
- Implement check-in system technology that can be scanned remotely from inside the vehicle such as a RFID tag or indicator.
- Commercial and customer truck drivers should remain in their trucks while on mine property, unless a safe area for tarping and checking their loads has been designated.
- Operators should place their equipment in neutral and set the parking brakes before exiting the operator compartment.
- Rules establishing safe operating procedures should be posted.
- Ensure workers who operate heavy equipment are adequately informed, instructed, trained and supervised.
This is the 3rd fatality reported in calendar year 2018 in metal and nonmetal mining. As of this date in 2017, there were 3 fatalities reported in metal and nonmetal mining. This is the 2nd Powered Haulage fatality in 2018. There was 1 Powered Haulage fatality during the same period in 2017.