METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY – On August 22, 2018, a 29-year old miner with 1 year of experience was fatally injured while cleaning a snub pulley. The victim was working from an aerial lift located under the belt conveyor when he became entangled in the conveyor pulley.
- Ensure that persons assigned to clean conveyor belts have received adequate training and verify that safe belt conveyor work practices are followed.
- Stay clear of moving equipment and do not reach into any part of a moving conveyor.
- Avoid wearing loose-fitting clothing when working around moving conveyor belt components.
- Verify that all incoming power connectors are open by a circuit breaker, the conveyor is stopped and secured from movement before working on belt conveyors.
- Provide and maintain safe access to elevated areas where routine maintenance is performed.
This is the 9th fatality reported in calendar year 2018 in metal and nonmetal mining. As of this date in 2018, there were 7 fatalities reported in metal and nonmetal mining. This is the 6th Powered Haulage fatality in 2018. There were 3 Powered Haulage fatalities during the same period in 2017. MSHA has made the prevention of powered haulage accidents a priority. Please see more information at www.msha.gov/poweredhaulage