Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On August 26, 2020, two miners were preparing a mobile track mounted jaw crusher for shipping off-site. The crusher was missing the upper wrist pin from the hydraulic cylinder that raises and lowers the right hopper extension. The right hopper extension was secured in place by wedges. The victim was removing wedges, and when a wedge was removed, the extension fell, crushing the victim.
- Block equipment against hazardous motion before dismantling equipment.
- Follow manufacturers’ recommendations when dismantling equipment.
- Conduct adequate workplace examinations and correct any defects affecting safety before dismantling equipment.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures before beginning work.
- Stay clear of suspended loads and raised equipment.
- Position yourself in a safe location and away from potential “red-zone” areas.
- Use ladders or other means of safe access to perform maintenance.
- Train miners to recognize potential hazardous conditions and understand safe job procedures.
This is the 14th fatality reported in 2020, and the fourth classified as “Machinery.”