Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On Nov. 23, 2020, a miner was fatally injured when the battery-powered scoop he was operating ran over a section of pipe in the roadway. The four-inch plastic pipe entered the operator’s compartment and struck him.
- Conduct thorough examinations of roadways and remove material that could pose a hazard to equipment operators, passengers, or other miners.
- Keep roadways free of excessive water, mud, and other conditions that reduce an equipment operator’s ability to control mobile equipment.
- Secure loads on haulage vehicles to prevent them from falling off into roadways.
- Install substantial guarding to prevent material from entering the operator compartment.
- Establish safe operating procedures for mobile equipment and a maintenance schedule for roadways.
This is the 25th fatality reported in 2020, and the seventh classified as “Powered Haulage.”