Accident Report: Fatality Reference:
MINE FATALITY – On Oct. 27, 2020, a miner was digging a hole to install a wooden post for roof control when a section of the roof fell on him.
- Thoroughly examine the roof, face, and ribs where people will be working and traveling, including sound and vibration testing where applicable.
- Scale loose roof and ribs from a safe location. Prevent access to hazardous areas until appropriate corrective measures can be taken.
- Set temporary support before installing permanent support.
- Be alert for changing conditions and report abnormal roof or rib conditions to mine management and other miners.
- Know and follow the approved roof control plan and provide additional support when cracks or other abnormalities are detected. Remember, the approved roof control plan contains minimum requirements.
- Propose revisions to the roof control plan to provide measures to control roof hazards.
This is the 23rd fatality reported in 2020, and the first classified as “Fall of Roof or Back.”