MINE FATALITY – On September 16, 2020, a truck driver attempted to adjust the brakes on his tri-axle truck while the engine was running, the automatic transmission was in drive and the parking brake was not set. The truck moved forward and fatally injured the victim.
- Before exiting, place the transmission in park, set the parking brake, turn off the engine and activate the hazard warning lights.
- Block equipment against motion and place high visibility cones or other flagging or signage to caution oncoming traffic before working on equipment.
- Maintain equipment braking systems and repair and adjustment as necessary.
- Conduct pre-operational examinations using qualified personnel to identify and repair defects that may affect the safe operation of equipment before it is placed into service.
- Train miners on site-specific hazards.
This is the 17th fatality reported in 2020, and the third classified as “Powered Haulage.”