Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On December 13, 2021, a miner was fatally injured when he became entangled in the drill steel of the roof bolting machine he was operating.
- Before performing maintenance and repair work on roof bolting machines or other equipment:
- Turn off the engine.
- Securely block equipment against hazardous motion by following manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Never touch or hold the drill steel while it is rotating.
- Do not wear loose-fitting or bulky clothing when working around any machinery with rotating parts.
- Train miners to perform their assigned tasks safely.
This is the 36th fatality reported in 2021, and the seventh classified as “Machinery.”