Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On December 3, 2021, a miner was fatally injured when he became entangled in the return idler on the belt conveyor under a portable crusher plant.
- Before performing maintenance and repair work near belt conveyors:
- Remove power from the belt drive.
- Securely block equipment against hazardous motion in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Guard moving machine parts to protect miners from contacting moving parts.
- Provide and maintain a safe means of access to all working places.
- Conduct thorough examinations of equipment. Report defects and do not work in unsafe conditions.
- Train miners to assess risks and control hazards before beginning work on belt conveyors.
This is the 33rd fatality reported in 2021, and the 16th classified as “Powered Haulage.”