MINE FATALITY – On December 4, 2021, a miner was performing maintenance duties on a continuous mining machine (CMM) when the raised CMM tail boom lowered, resulting in fatal crushing injuries to the miner.
- Before performing maintenance and repair work:
- De-energize the power source.
- Open the visual disconnect.
- Lock and tag the visual disconnect.
- Securely block equipment against hazardous motion in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Provide sufficient space around equipment to perform work safely.
- Develop and implement procedures to complete tasks safely.
- Train all miners to perform their assigned tasks safely.
- Operators should implement procedures to address hazards that cause injury.
This is the 34th fatality reported in 2021, and the sixth classified as “Machinery.”