Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On December 6, 2021, a miner was fatally injured while he was working in a pan feeder under a chute. While attempting to remove angle iron that blocked the chute’s gate from closing, he was engulfed by material that fell from a surge pile above the chute. The victim died from his injuries on December 10, 2021.
- Do not allow miners to travel on or below material that is on or above the sides of a bin, hopper, or chute.
- Provide mechanical devices or other effective means to protect miners from entrapment by caving material.
- Provide and maintain a safe means of access for all working places.
- De-energize, lock out, tag out, and block machinery or equipment against hazardous motion before performing repairs or maintenance.
- Examine work areas and equipment. Correct defects, or report them to the operator.
- Train miners to perform their assigned tasks safely.
This is the 35th fatality reported in 2021, and the second classified as “Confined Space.”