Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On May 14, 2021, a continuous mining machine operator was fatally injured when a piece of rock fell from the roof and struck him. The victim was working under unsupported roof in the Number 1 entry.
- Never work or travel under unsupported roof.
- Thoroughly examine the roof, face and ribs where people will be working and traveling, including sound and vibration testing.
- Scale loose roof and ribs from a safe location. Prevent access to unsupported and hazardous areas until appropriate corrective measures can be taken.
- Follow the approved roof control plan and provide additional support when cracks or other abnormalities are detected. Never exceed the maximum cut depth specified in the approved roof control plan.
- Mark the second to last row of bolts with reflective material and train miners not to travel inby this location.
- Train miners to identify hazards from the roof, face and ribs.
This is the 11th fatality reported in 2021, and the first classified as “Fall of Roof or Back.”