MINE FATALITY – On October 19, 2021, a 58-year-old mechanic with 17 years of experience was fatally injured when the articulated haul truck bed collapsed on him while he performed maintenance on the truck.
- Securely block from motion machinery or equipment that has been raised, and properly use mechanical blocking devices. Ensure that blocking material is competent, substantial, and adequate to support and stabilize the load.
- Position yourself in a safe location and away from potential “red-zone” areas where you can be injured. Observe and follow all warning labels and signs on equipment.
- Never work under a load that is unsupported or inadequately supported, and never depend on hydraulics to support a load.
- Outfit haul trucks with a dump box lock bar that mechanically blocks the bed from coming down.
- Develop and follow safe work procedures.
- Always consult and follow the manufacturer’s recommended safe work procedures for the maintenance task.
This is the 29th fatality reported in 2021, and the 3rd classified as “Falling, Rolling or Sliding Rock/Material.”