MINE FATALITY – On January 14, 2022, a 44-year-old contract laborer with 13 years of total experience received fatal injuries when he fell 27 feet to a concrete surface. At the time of the accident, the contractor was on a belt conveyor in a preparation plant and was working to replace a belt conveyor roller.
- Establish and follow safety policies and procedures, when working at heights.
- Train miners to use fall protection when a fall hazard exists.
- Ensure fall protection is available and properly maintained.
- Provide identifiable and secure anchor points to attach lanyards and lifelines.
- Provide mobile or stationary platforms—or scaffolding—where there is a risk of falling.
This is the fourth fatality reported in 2022, and the first classified as “Slip or Fall of Person”