Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On March 22, 2022, a 44 year-old heavy equipment operator drowned after the floating pump station he was standing on capsized. At the time of the accident, the miner was assisting a co-worker in connecting a water discharge line.
- Design and use floating platforms in a manner that complies with the manufacturer’s specifications and recommendations.
- Before working on a floating platform:
- implement safe work procedures that take into account potential hazards from rain, ice, freezing temperatures, and other environmental conditions.
- perform adequate work place examinations, especially on floating platforms that are infrequently used. Check parts that are subject to rust, sun damage, water damage, etc. over long periods of time.
- Wear life jackets where there is danger from falling into water.
This is the twelfth fatality reported in 2022, and the first classified as “Drowning.”