Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On March 18, 2023, a miner died when the mine roof collapsed during the installation of standing roof support (crib) as part of the longwall recovery cycle. The accident occurred in an area adjacent to a longwall shield.
- Follow the approved Roof Control Plan.
- Design, install, and maintain roof support where miners work or travel.
- Never travel or work under unsupported roof.
- Conduct a visual examination of the roof, face, and ribs immediately before starting work in an area.
- Be alert to changing roof conditions, especially during longwall recovery.
This is the 13th fatality reported in 2023, and the first classified as “Fall of Roof or Back.”