The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) is looking for motivated professionals committed to ensuring the health and safety of our nation's miners.
Why work for us? MSHA is a federal government agency dedicated to sending miners home safe and healthy after every shift, every day. We offer:
- Health, life, and long-term care insurance.
- A stable retirement program, including a tax-deferred savings plan.
- Generous annual, sick, and holiday leave.
- A 40-hour work week.
- Travel reimbursement.
- Flexible spending accounts for medical and dental expenses.
- Locality pay may apply, depending on the job location.
Mine Safety and Health Inspector Duties:
- Conduct on-site inspections or investigations of underground and surface mines in order to identify potential hazardous conditions to the safety and health of workers.
- Ensure proper mining equipment maintenance and usage.
- Check mining performance for conformance with safety and health laws and regulations.
- Issue citations when violations and hazards are identified.
- Determine how accidents and disasters are caused and prevented.
- Discuss inspection/investigation findings and provide technical support and assistance to mine management and personnel.
How to be considered for an Inspector position:
- Apply to one or more of the three Mine Inspector vacancy announcements.
- MSHA Human Resources will review your resume.
- If qualified, MSHA will notify you of the times and locations of upcoming test sessions.
- You must pass a math test (Coal Mine Inspector positions only) and writing assessment (and an electrical test if you qualify for and are interested in an Electrical Inspector position).
- Have a structured Interview.
- MSHA Human Resources will notify you of the results.
MSHA is an equal opportunity employer.
For questions regarding this program please email us at MSHAJOBS@dol.gov.
More Information for You
- Resumé Template
- Qualified Inspector Resumé Sample
- Not Qualified Inspector Resumé Sample
- Preparing an MSHA Resume
Jobs at MSHA
Questions and Answers
- Coal Inspector Hiring Program Frequently Asked Questions
- Mine Inspectors Mathematics Test Preparation Guide
- Mine Inspector Structured Interview Instructions
This sheet provides instructions and general information on what to expect during the structured interview.
- Mine Inspectors' Workbook for Writing Effective Citations, Orders and Notes
- Competency Model for Mine Safety Inspector/Specialist