MINE FATALITY – On January 7, 2022, a 35 year-old continuous mining machine (CMM) operator was fatally injured when he was pinned between the remote controlled CMM and the coal rib.
- Operate equipment from a safe location. Stay out of “Red Zone” areas including pinch points, the CMM turning radius, and areas close to the ribs.
- Maintain proximity detection systems (PDS) in the approved operating condition.
- Perform the manufacturer’s recommended static and dynamic tests to assure the PDS is functioning properly. Verify that the shutdown zones are at sufficient distances to stop the CMM before contacting a miner.
- Wear miner wearable components in accordance with PDS manufacturer’s recommendations so warning lights and sounds can be seen and heard.
- Develop and implement procedures for tramming, repositioning, cable handling and moving remote controlled CMMs safely.
- Train miners on the function of PDS.
This is the second fatality reported in 2022, and the first classified as “Machinery.”