Regulations require all underground mines to have fully-trained and equipped professional mine rescue teams available in the event of a mine emergency.
MSHA's Mine Rescue Instruction Guides help mines meet mine rescue team training requirements under 30 CFR Part 49. Each guide includes suggestions, handouts, visuals, and text materials to assist with training.
Instructors and trainers can use the guides to either supplement existing mine rescue training, or tailor a program to fit their mine-specific training needs.
- Initial Mine Rescue Team Training: Coal and Metal/Nonmetal Mines (MSHA 3026, Formerly IG 5)
- Mine Rescue Team Training: Metal and Nonmetal Mines (MSHA 3027, Formerly IG 6)
- Advanced Mine Rescue Training: Coal Mines (IG 7)
- Advanced Skills Training (AST): Activities for Coal Mine Rescue Teams (IG 7a)
- Responding to a Mine Emergency: Training Responsible Persons at Underground Coal Mines (IG 110)