Alliance Signed: September 24, 2014
Renewed: February 23, 2023
The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) and the National Lime Association (NLA) recognize the value of continuing a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful working conditions at the Nation's mining and milling operations.
MSHA and NLA hereby renew their Alliance under the authority of 30 U.S.C. § 962 to provide lime industry personnel with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help protect the health and safety of those working at lime quarries and plant.
MSHA and NLA will work together to achieve the following education and training goals designed to improve worker health and safety:
- Provide information, education, training, and technical assistance to raise safety and health awareness within the lime industry and to help prevent injuries and illnesses and protect worker safety and health;
- Conduct annual summary analyses of incidence rates for U.S. lime plants, and perform worker injury and illness case studies to identify hazardous safety and health conditions and practices;
- Analyze injury, illness, and citation data to develop training and education tools to improve injury and illness incidence rates;
- Develop education and training programs for operator and contractor employees working lime plants and quarries;
- Develop and share best practices and effective approaches to improve operator and contractor safety and health at lime plants and quarries;
- Collaborate on emergency response, rescue and recovery techniques for facility operations located at lime plants and quarries;
- Ensure that health and safety programs are fair and inclusive, and reach all persons in the industry workforce, including those who do not speak English as their primary language; and
- Ensure that personal protective equipment (PPE) is available, accessible, and suitably fitted to all workers in the industry, including those who are hard to fit, and that workers understand how and when to properly use PPE.
MSHA and NLA will strive to achieve the following outreach and communications goals:
- Provide statistical information regarding injuries and illnesses that occur to lime workers;
- Develop and disseminate information on worker safety and health issues at conferences, events or through print and electronic media, including links from MSHA's and NLA's websites;
- Raise awareness and demonstrate commitment to worker safety and health whenever MSHA or NLA leaders address groups;
- Convene or participate in workshops, conferences, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings to forge innovative solutions to worker health and safety issues; and
- Publicize the results of worker injury and illness case studies through print, electronic media, promotion at conferences, or other means of outreach.