Historical Key Indicator Charts
Respirable Dust & Diesel Particulate Matter
- Underground Coal Mines Average Designated Occupation Dust Concentration CY 2009-2017
- Underground Coal Mines MSHA Average Designated Occupation Quartz Concentration CY 2009-2015
- Respirable Coal Mine Dust Samples Since Implementation 8/1/14-9/30/16
- Number of Deaths Due to Coal Workers Pneumoconiosis (Black Lung) CY 1968-2014
- Distribution of Part C Black Lung Claims by State 1973-2015
- Underground MNM Mines Average Diesel Particulate Matter Concentration CY 2003-2015
- Citations and Orders CY 2010-2015
- Citations and Orders FY 2010-2016
- Dollar Amount Assessed CY 2000-2015
- Dollar Amount Assessed FY 2000-2016
- Number of Violations Contested CY 2006-2015
- Number of Violations Contested FY 2006-2016
- Backlog of Contested Citations and Orders 2000-2016
- Number of Mines Identified in Pattern of Violations Screenings CY 2010-2016
- Significant & Substantial Violation Reduction Among Top 200 Mines 2010-2016
- Citations and Orders Assessed and Vacated with Vacate Rates CY 2006-2015
Fatality and Injury Rates
Initiatives and Operations
Mine Employment and Coal Production
Updated biannually, this fact sheet is a summary of key mine safety and health statistics including fatality and injury totals, inspection hours, citations and orders issued, dollar amount assessed, and other basic statistics.
Full historical data tables on the same At A Glance topics.
Full historical data tables that provide an overview of MSHA's enforcement and assessment activities, along with the mining industry's safety and health performance.
Average number of mine employees, mine employee hours worked, and coal production from 1978 to 2015.
Find the most frequently cited standards by year, mine type, and industry group.
View current and historical fatality statistics sorted by accident type, state, and year.
Access maps, graphs and tables summarizing a range of information about mines, employees, fatalities, and injuries.